I’m a baseball fan and a Yankee fan at that. However, I’m truly exhausted by the saga that is Alex Rodriguez. I need not go into more details or rant about my personal thoughts on the subject. Instead, I thought about how this relates to fatherhood and parenting in general.
The answer is rather simple, the entire situation is a great way to explain some important life lessons. So here is a list of the top ten things a parent can teach their kids using Alex Rodriguez:
- No matter how far you can hit a fastball, bad behavior will always catch-up to you.
- Anyone tells you to stick a needle in any part of you, and their name is not followed by M.D., seriously question what you’re about to do.
- Sports are just entertainment. There are significantly more important things in life.
- Get over yourself. Each of us has the potential to do great things, but that doesn’t make us better or more important than everyone else.
- Don’t lie. Once you lie, you can never stop. See item #1 above.
- Be grateful to those who employ you. For their generosity provides for your life.
- If you truly don’t like who or what employs you, leave.
- The world isn’t always nice, get used to it.
- Some days you will wish you could go back to kindergarten, that’s a normal feeling.
- Don’t be Alex Rodriguez.